Spotify was launched in 2008 and is now the leading provider of streaming music. Gone are the days of buying CDs or even downloading music via stores such as iTunes. Spotify has a massively comprehensive library of content that is played instantly – assuming that you are online you wouldn’t even know that you don’t own the music. Here are just a few reasons to use Spotify:
- The world’s music instantly available
- Play on almost any device: Mac, PC, iPhone, Android, iPad, Windows Phone and more
- Play in your car with Car Play enabled stereos, over Bluetooth or by plugging into the aux connector from your phone
- Play offline (with no web connection) with a premium subscription
- Create playlists to organise your favorite music
- Find new music with Spotify radio which creates your own radio station based on music you already like
- Share music with friends and get recommendations
Spotify comes with three subscription types:
- Free. With this subscription there is no monthly fee, it is completely free. However your listening will be interrupted every now and again for ads to be played, and there are some restriction on how much/often you can listen to music.
- Premium. This is the main subscription which gives ad free, high quality listening. You can save music to your device for offline listening so that you can listen to your music without a wifi or mobile data connection. This monthly fee varies by region, but is $9.99 in the USA and £9.99 in the UK.
- Family. This offers discounts (up to 50%) for families. Each person gets to keep their own playlists and music separately, however there is one discounted monthly bill.
Spotify makes a big deal of bundling Spotify subscriptions via 3rd parties and these can often be very lucrative deals. Check in your country for offers available to you, however as a example in the UK the following are available:
- Sunday Times. The Sunday Times offers an online subscription which gives you access to The Sunday Times on the web and via their iPad application and also gives 1 year of free Spotify premium access. This deal is actually cheaper than buying a premium subscription directly from spotify.
- Vodafone. Subscribers to certain Vodafone pay monthly contracts get a free subscription to Spotify Premium as part of their mobile contract.
In the USA there are various offers, but owners of a Google Chromecast can access free Spotify Premium.
You can download Spotify for your iPhone at the following link: